Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Breakthrough Project for Men

I've been a single father for more than four years. Immediately after the divorce I noticed a difference in the way society recieved me as a single father as well as in the way I interacted with others. In holding myself accountable for my own experience, I think I may have become a bit defensive and/or protective of my desire to be a great father for my young son. However, all things considered, there is a clear distinction in the way men are treated and percieved in modern American. Today I acknowledge this period of time in my life as the beginning of my experience as a researcher and advocate for all men in America. It is over the past five years that I began to pay attention to how America looked at men and our roles in our modern culture. I've done so with an awareness not to be suggestive; rather I've just become aware. So much happens all around us all the time and it's not until we become aware that we notice how often "it" takes place. This "it" being whatever you've become aware of. In this conversation "it" is the shunning of men. I would liken this to the experience of seeing the car you just decided to buy all over the place just after you've decided to buy it. This noticing coupled with my personal life experience is what has led me to begin The Breakthrough Project: Men.

A very close friend of mine started The Breakthrough Project. She has studied and worked very hard to clearly understand certain distinctions in order to cause breakthroughs in her own life. She has spent years studying, researching, applying, and experiencing. So much so, businesses are now finding great value and benefit in the use of her understanding of distinctions and processes. As close friends I've personally had the priviledge of watching her grow and I'm incredibly proud of her. On a recent Saturday morning Erin and I had brunch. Towards the end of the conversation I shared with her how the strength of my desire to contribute to men has really become strong. She knows this has stirred in me for some time. It's now Nov. 2008 and I've been single since the fall of 2003. To no avail I've looked for outlets that have allowed me to contribute; youth groups at church, non-profit organizations, etc. But, to date nothing has stuck or fit just right. They were fine. Just not a fit. Today was to be different. Before Erin and I got up from the table Erin stopped and offered to support me in this search for an outlet or a platform with which my stirring would be fulfilled. The result of this conversation is The Breakthrough Project: Men.

No comments: